Monday, March 17, 2008

The co-sleeping debate.



So I did something I said I'd never do, put the baby in bed with us. It all started because he had a cold and wasn't feeling well. He would wake himself up coughing and was all around miserable. One night after waking up several times I put Elias in the crook of my arm and let him sleep in bed. Well that was the beginning of the end. Now anytime he makes a noise even resembling a cry, I take him out of the co-sleeper and put him in bed. For those of you who don't know what a co-sleeper is click here.


Of course, Mom also reminded me that I was only going to have Elias sleep in the co-sleeper for six weeks. Well that didn't work either. With all the scary talk of SIDS I'm just too nervous. However, since the 'rents will be watching Elias in several short weeks, he will soon have to transition to his crib (which Brad reminds me is only a few feet away in the nursery).


Co-sleeping is just so convenient, whether in the co-sleeper or bed. If you're breastfeeding you don't even have to leave the bed. Bonus for you and baby.

Elias did sleep six hours straight last night, from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m., so he's getting there. I'm sure once he's sleeping through the night it will be nice for him to sleep in his crib, but I plan to be nervous about him for at least the next 18 years.

What are everyones opinions on co-sleeping. C

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandpa thinks you will worry about him the rest of your life, if you are an example. Parents NEVER stop worrying. I'll let other newer parents share their thoughts about co-sleeping.

Anonymous said...

I swore I wouldn't do it either, but it started when Liza would sleep longer on my chest and then continued when I fell asleep while breastfeeding in bed. But I found that I did not sleep well with her because I was so paranoid... I would wake up all stiff. And I would never put her on the side of me where Gus was sleeping.