Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The D Word.


Daycare. Gone are the days when Grandma lived blocks away and your child could be dropped off without worry of being shaken or left in a car. My Grandmother lived very close (four blocks) and watched me when my mom went back to work until I became a latch-key kid. It was great. She gave me lots of ice cream and cookies and we watched her Soaps together. We developed a bond that lasted until the day she passed away. I will never forget the time we had together and I wish Elias could have met her. She is and was very special to me.

Nowadays Grandparents are older, live far away and basically have lives. I would love for Elias' Grandparents to drop everything and take care of him but that's not only impossible but selfish.

That said, our parents are being very accomodating and watching Elias until he's six months old. Then when he goes to daycare he'll be a bit older, more aware and starting solid foods. However, that doesn't mean I'm at all more at ease with it. The idea of handing my son to a stranger kills me. I've seen too many of those hidden nanny cams were the nanny is shaking the child. I don't know what I would do to a person who did that to my child, but I'll tell you it wouldn't be pretty. When Elias finally does go to daycare I know that I'll have run extensive background checks, talked to about 500 references and spied on the facility.

Someday I'll have my own practice, hopefully with one of my best friends, and the daycare situation will be a lot easier. Until then I'm going to unclench my fists, stop grinding my teeth and try and find someone to watch Elias who lives up to my standards. As Brad would say, good luck with that.

-C

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It never gets easier. The first week that we left Alex in the care of another person, was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. I cried, he cried...it seemed as though he knew I was leaving him even though he was only 4 months old and couldn't tell me. They seem to sense something is different. If it's any consolation, the more you get to know Elias...the easier it will be to sense if there is something "bad" going on. He'll be able to communicate it to you somehow. And you just have to think positively and go with your instincts. Not everyone is an abuser. We've been lucky enough to find people who have loved Alex like they would love their own. And you can't ask for more than that if you're a working parent!

Carly said...

That is very true Erin and it does give me confidence if my best friend is strong enough to leave her child, I'm strong enough to leave mine. I know I'll get through it, as Joe Cocker says, "with a little help from my friends".

Anonymous said...

I will be there for you & Elias as often as I can.